Exchange ProgramsAt any level of our programs, from the Bachelor of Arts/Education to the PhD, the Obama Institute for Transnational American Studies offers comprehensive support in obtaining scholarships from national funding agencies such as the DAAD or Fulbright, access to European higher education through the ERASMUS program, as well as our very own transatlantic exchange program, the Direct Exchange. Short overviews of these programs can be found below. Information sessions on all exchange opportunities take place at the beginning of each semester. Application deadlines are generally announced in time in the News & Events section of the Institute’s website. If you require information beyond that provided here or in the PDFs on the right, please contact the Exchange and ERASMUS advisors by email.
The Direct Exchange Program, established in 1956, is a unique opportunity for American Studies students at Mainz, connecting them directly with partner universities in the United States and Canada. The various exchange opportunities we offer—from simple undergraduate studies with tuition waivers to teaching/research assistantships for graduate-level studies—enable students to experience the United States and Canada first hand. Based on years of cooperation, the Direct Exchange Program is a tailored and competitive program.
Currently, the Institute offers direct exchanges with the following American and Canadian partner universities:
- Austin College, Sherman, Texas
- Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
- California State University, Chico, California
- Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Columbia University, New York City, New York
- Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia
- Hood College, Frederick, Maryland
- Kansas University, Lawrence, Kansas
- Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vermont
- Mississippi College, Clinton, Mississippi
- University of California, Davis, California
- University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- Washington College, Chestertown, Maryland
- York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Please check the PDFs on the right to find out which of these universities match your degree and study options. Detailed information concerning the program (deadlines, funding, application process) can also be found in the PDF files available for download.
Other Partner Universities (exchange programs currently on hold):
- Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
- Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Nina Heydt, M.A.
Dr. Nele Sawallisch
Erasmus Exchange Program
The EU-funded ERASMUS program enables students to spend a semester or two at a different European university free of tuition, and pays a small monthly stipend. The Institute’s ERASMUS partner universities currently are:
- Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
- Universität Bern, Switzerland
- Universiteit Gent/Ghent University, Belgium
- Università degli Studi di Padova, Padua, Italy
- Uniwersytet Warszawski/University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
- Universität Wien, Vienna, Austria
Applications for the ERASMUS program need to be submitted annually in December. Detailed information concerning the program (application process, funding) can be found in the PDF files on the right.